Log in

No account? Create an account
So I've been using my cup for three cycles now, and it's great!
But during the duration I've gotten more worried about a preexisting set of symptoms. Based on internet research I think it's some kind of infection.

It started four or five years ago. I had just started having a sexual relations with my first boyfriend (still together) and when I went to pee, I couldn't and it hurt. Also when I did pee it smelled bad, sometimes like canned tuna, and kinda cloudier than normal? So I researched and the internet said infection so I tried drinking vinegar and cranberry juice to make my pee more acidic, didn't go away. I ignored it because I found if I drank way more water it wouldn't hurt, because I could pee. Also the pee would be normal if I was drinking more water.

Months later I decided to get a yeast infection kit with the pill thingys you insert overnight. I was a total wuss and didn't put it in far enough and most of the first one fell was on my pantiliner in the morning. The other two I put in ok. In the instructions it says not to have sex, but I was super embarrassed to tell my boyfriend and one thing led to another.

A few more months pass, I decide it must have not worked because I messed it up, so I get another kit. It went fine and the symptoms reduced but came back again later.

Since then, I don't know when it started but I've also been having more and more frequent dark red brown or brown discharges, which in my liners were smelly. Before getting my cup, it got to the point where I had to use liners everyday because sometimes it would soak through my panties if I didn't. So after my first period on the cup I thought, 'Wouldn't it be nice to use the cup for the discharge instead?' and kept using the cup after my period. While learning to use my cup I became less embarrassed to investigate my fluids, so I pulled some out of my cup and found it was mucousy, but not smelly yet. And some days there wouldn't be any of it, just normal clear mucous, and some days there was enough that if I pushed it down from the sides of the cup it would go to the first line of my Meluna. (the discharge isn't watery enough to collect at the bottom of the cup, it sticks to the sides)

Well, in the past two months, it seems when I have the discharge there's more of it (not entirely certain, as before the cup I couldn't really measure it). Also I've noticed it's more likely to happen the day after or two days after sex. But the scariest thing is that the last two times I had sex when I climaxed, as my insides clench, I feel some sharp pains!?!? (this is with nothing in my vagina, boyfriend makes me come first)

I know I should've talked to a doctor earlier, but I don't have insurance and didn't make time to find a doctor. I would've just made an appointment with my family doctor, but I've been living out of state for years and haven't gone to the doctor since moving, because I'm poor and busy. Also I've been avoiding it, hoping it would pass.

So how should I find a doctor? What kind of doctor should I go to? Should I go to a OBGYN, or should I go to a general practitioner first? Is there any place that I could go that would be inexpensive or give me a break because I don't have insurance? Would Planned Parenthood help?

Thanks for reading my wall of text.
Tashanamelessw0nder on October 29th, 2014 01:03 pm (UTC)
Is there a Planned Parenthood in your area? They often have sliding scale payment plans based on income.

The first issue you described of the pain during urination sounds like a urinary tract infection. If your at-home treatment doesn't work, those really need to be treated with antibiotics prescribed by a physician. It can be really dangerous to leave those untreated.

The discharge could be something completely unrelated and not worrisome, but best to see a doctor and have them check it out.
Kai: 2Cupskuradi8 on October 29th, 2014 01:09 pm (UTC)
Yes, it's time to see a doctor. If you don't have health insurance, then Planned Parenthood or other women's clinic would be a good choice. If you do have health insurance, then it depends on your policy. Some say that you have to see your GP first to get a referral for a Gyno/specialist. With others, you can go straight to a Gyno/specialist without having to be dispatched first.
Carriecarrieb on October 29th, 2014 10:26 pm (UTC)
Sounds like the first two comments have you covered. Definitely get yourself checked out. I also wanted to mention the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It is a great read that all women should read. The clear mucus is most likely your cervical mucus and it is an indicator of your fertility. Even if you have no desire to procreate, this book is an excellent read and will teach you so much more than you ever learned in school.
juliiie87juliiie87 on November 2nd, 2014 02:46 pm (UTC)
What you describe about the discharge in your cup (the not smelly one) is perfectly normal. The vagina is self-cleaning yadda-yadda, and therefore produces fluids, which can vary based on where you are in you cycle, and that production increases when you have sex of any kind, so I'm not at all suprised there. However, fishy smell indicates an infection, in your case urinary (UTI) and that needs to be treated, a GP or planned parenthood or a sexual health clinic, whoever you prefer can do it. The pain is worrisome, could it be that the infection is spreading ? however if it were really bad I'd think there would be more frequent pain and temperature... the bloody discharge is also a bit peculiar, could it be a side-effect of birth control pills ? if not then I'd get it checked as well.