?

Log in

No account? Create an account
tjstjstjs

Hi everyone,

Thought you might be interested to hear what happened to my mini meluna (clear with blue glitter). I'd had it for only a year. I only used it for 2 or 3 periods. I used to clean it by tipping boiling water over it, and also by dunking it in a 1:10 bleach:water solution and rinsing (meluna says not to use bleach. I did anyway. If i can't bleach it, I don't want it! Edit: as someone who works in science and Chem, I am suspicious of the claim not to use bleach).

Anyway, it got stained and started to have strange smell. This hasn't happened to any of my other cups (silicone). Not long afterwards it got a strange texture to it, as well. It felt kind of sticky/tacky as if the cup was melting, like the plastic was disintergrating! It was sort of coming off as i rubbed the cup.

I can't've melted it during cleaning because i never actually boiled the cup, I only rinsed/soaked it in boiled water. I don't know how to describe the texture. it was most bizarre. Needless to say, I freaked out and threw it out. I should've taken photos or video to share. it was the strangest texture to it.  This has put me off Meluna. I think i'll stick with silicone rather than plastic cups.

Anyone else had this happen? To their meluna or some other cup?

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not asking for advice on choosing a new cup, and I'm not asking for advice on cleaning. I'm asking people to share their experiences of cups disintergrating, for whatever reason.

 
..::bella vita::..por_que_no on August 17th, 2014 12:44 pm (UTC)
I haven't used Melunas more than a couple of times (high cervix), but if you bleached something that specifically said it was not to be bleached--well, now you see why. :/
(Deleted comment)
tjstjstjstjstjstjs on August 17th, 2014 10:39 pm (UTC)
I think you've posted this on the wrong thread.
This is a thread about meluna cups disintergrating. I'm not looking for a new cup.
ant1matterant1matter on August 17th, 2014 01:36 pm (UTC)
Yeah, I'd put money on the bleach being the culprit here. 10:1 is still a fairly strong mix and it looks like TPE reacts badly with chlorine. For future knowledge, you can pop that sucker in a pot of water and boil it on the stove for ten minutes (just make sure the water doesn't boil off and melt your cup) and your cup will be just as sterile, if not moreso, than if you bleach it :)
tjstjstjstjstjstjs on August 17th, 2014 10:43 pm (UTC)
So i guess this means that women can't use the meluna as protection when swimming in chlorine pools either? How ridiculous.
..::bella vita::..por_que_no on August 18th, 2014 03:10 am (UTC)
I don't believe pool chlorine is quite the same substance as bleach (and it's obviously far, far weaker because it doesn't burn our skin off when we swim in it)--and furthermore, unless your cervix is practically knocking at your entrance, the cup wouldn't even come into much if any contact with the water while being worn.
ant1matterant1matter on August 19th, 2014 02:02 am (UTC)
Chlorine in swimming pools is diluted way more than 10:1.
xquizite_insomxquizite_insom on August 17th, 2014 03:58 pm (UTC)
Wow, now you see why the company says not to use household bleach.
If you wanted to use bleach, you could have used Milton tablets. They are a more stable, acceptable form of bleach called Sodium dichloroisocyanurate. The bleach and sodium dichloroisocyanurate are closely related in the same family of hypochlorites. For healthcare sterilization applications, the powdered form is found to be as effective if not more effective and much more stable than the liquid compound. Since you can not use anything you can not bleach,(I don't blame you) those are an excellent option in the future.
As for the cup melting, did you both pour the boiling water over it and then soon after clean it with bleach or vice versa? If so, it could be that the two processes performed together before giving the material time to recover, perhaps one process weakened it making it permeable and the other destroyed the bonds that kept it intact. Just a speculation.
naked_beauty_21 on August 17th, 2014 11:54 pm (UTC)
I used Milton's sterilizing tablets on my Lunette and it did something similar. I let it sit in the Milton's water overnight and the cup feels extremely sticky and greasy. Maybe I used too much of the tablet in the small skiing of water I used. I broke it into small pieces.
Michellepinkdagger on August 18th, 2014 01:13 am (UTC)
I got an old style MeLuna when they started on the market several years ago, a blue one with a ball stem, and over the course of maybe a year or two I noticed it was looking more porous than usual, it had an off smell, and pieces from inside were flaking and peeling off. I threw it away and was super bummed since I loved how cute it was! However, I never used any bleach. I only ever washed it with gentle hand soap and hot water. I'm not sure if this is applicable to the newer MeLunas since they've changed their cups since I got mine.