jelly jaz (jazzyjello) wrote in menstrual_cups,
jelly jaz
jazzyjello
menstrual_cups

can the cup cause TSS?

Hi everyone,

Two days ago was my first day on my period, and so I had my Lunette cup in starting in the morning (emptying it every few hours). But in the evening, I suddenly got the chills really bad, and a really high fever - it got up to 103.5*. I am still not sure what caused it, but I became worried that it was TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome) and took out the cup. My cup may have had bacteria in it because I left it in too long on my last period - over 24 hours. (I know, I know, I've learned my lesson now!) I had cleaned my cup multiple times with rubbing alcohol, but I should have boiled it I guess. According to a website, a symptom of TSS is really high fever, which I had, but another major symptom is a rash, which I did not observe. My fever did go down about one degree after taking out the cup, but all yesterday (back to using pads - gross) I still had a fever of around 101*, 100*. I think it may have been food poisoning or a stomach virus though because I was also nauseous and couldn't really eat anything.

Anyway, is it possible that I had TSS?
Is my cup still safe to use after I boil it and thoroughly clean it, or should I throw it out and get a new one?
Tags: health risks
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Comments allowed for members only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 27 comments